Work With Us
DIRECTOR OF DEVELOPMENT
POSTED: May 25, 2011
DEADLINE TO APPLY: Open until filled
Compensation: Commensurate with experience, three-week paid vacation, and full medical and dental benefits
Hours: Full time, 40 hours per week
The Director of Development position is responsible for Visual Communications fundraising efforts as a mid-size, full service media arts organization focused on serving Asian Pacific media arts and artists. S/he plans, directs and implements a comprehensive development program that generates individual donors, foundation, government and corporate support.
The job includes fund development, information management, marketing, research, grant writing and reporting. S/he will develop VC’s major donor plan in line with the Strategic Planning goals for the organization. S/he will also work closely with Program Staff in implementing fundraising and evaluation activities for our regular programs and will be a part of the core team during our annual L.A. Asian Pacific Film Festival. The Development Director reports directly to the Executive Director.
1. Directs a fund development program that includes government, foundation and corporate gifts, special events and individual giving, and will develop major donor and planned giving efforts;
2. Oversees and implements strategies that will grow annual revenue, writes proposals and secures funding from corporate and foundation donors ;
3. Research new grants and foundation initiatives, keeps current of funding trends;
4. With the Executive Director and Board, builds and sustains relationships with current, new and potential grant-giving organizations and individuals;
5. Experience managing and coordinating annual fundraising events;
6. Maintains an accurate grants calendar and transmits this information monthly to the Executive Director;
7. Manages individual donor campaigns, including membership renewals and special appeals;
8. Manages organizational membership database – creates profiles and tracks donors and prospects;
9. Develops, markets and implements a planned giving program to ensure VC’s long-term financial health;
10. Assists with content development for the website, marketing materials, e-newsletters and social networking sites to ensure inclusion of donor-focused content;
11. Assist with marketing of VC programs, implement marketing strategies, generate audiences and increase memberships;
12. Works with with the VC Board to enhance development efforts and individual giving campaigns;
13. Represents VC at public events, conferences, and screenings as necessary.
- Personal commitment to goals and mission of Visual Communications
- Minimum three years experience in charitable fund development with proven results
- Experience working with mid-size organizations with annual income of approximately $1M
- Demonstrated success in successfully soliciting and securing major gifts from individuals
- Demonstrated success in securing major annual gifts from foundations and corporations
- Demonstrated success with grant writing, sponsorships and special events
- Demonstrated success in working as a member of a team and developing effective working relationships with staff, volunteers and donors
- Excellent written/oral communication skills
- Computer literacy and competency with electronic donor tracking systems
- Contacts in the Asian Pacific and California philanthropic community desired
HOW TO APPLY
Please send a resume and cover letter to: Shinae Yoon, Executive Director, email@example.com. No phone calls, please.
ABOUT VISUAL COMMUNICATIONS
Founded in 1970, Visual Communications is a full-service media arts center dedicated to the honest and accurate portrayals of Asian Pacific American peoples, communities and heritage through the media arts. Our mission is to promote intercultural understanding through the creation, presentation, preservation and support of media works by and about Asian Pacific Americans. Visual Communications is the presenter of The Los Angeles Asian Pacific Film Festival, Southern California’s premier showcase for Asian Pacific American and Asian international cinema. Visual Communications is an equal opportunity employer.