SUBMIT: ENTRY GUIDELINES
The Los Angeles Asian Pacific Film Festival accepts films and mediaworks that are made by and about Asian Americans, Pacific Islanders and/or Asian Pacific diasporic culture, history and experiences. All lengths and genres will be considered.
AWARDS FOR FEATURE FILMS
Select Asian Pacific American and Asian International feature-length films are eligible for the Festival's AWARDS FOR FEATURE FILMS, which includes:
• GRAND JURY AWARD – NORTH AMERICAN FEATURE FILM (Narrative and Documentary Feature)
• GRAND JURY AWARD – ASIAN INTERNATIONAL FEATURE FILM (Narrative and Documentary Feature)
• FESTIVAL AUDIENCE AWARD (Narrative and Documentary Feature)
AWARDS FOR SHORT FILMS
Select Asian Pacific American and Asian International short films are eligible for the Festival's AWARDS FOR SHORT FILMS, which includes:
• FESTIVAL GOLDEN REEL AWARD (Narrative Live-Action/Animated Short; and Documentary Short)
• LINDA MABALOT NEW DIRECTORS/NEW VISIONS AWARD
Recipients of the LAAPFF's FESTIVAL GOLDEN REEL AWARD for Short Narrative Live-Action/Animated Film will be eligible for consideration in the Animated Short Film/Live Action Short Film category of the ACADEMY AWARDS® without the standard theatrical run, provided the film otherwise complies with the Academy® rules.
Your signed entry form, entry fee, screener and press kit must be RECEIVED by one of the following dates:
• EARLY DEADLINE - Friday, September 29, 2017, 5 p.m. PST
• FINAL DEADLINE - Friday, November 3, 2017, 5 p.m. PST
• WITHOUTABOX.COM and FILMFREEWAY.COM Extended Deadline – Friday, December 1, 2017, 5 p.m. PST
Eligible formats for exhibition at the Los Angeles Asian Pacific Film Festival are D-Cinema (Digital Cinema Package – DCP, features and shorts); 35mm (features and shorts); digital files (shorts, NTSC, as required ONLY). No PAL formats will be accepted.
- ALL digitally-produced feature-length narratives and documentaries will be screened as D-Cinema; a Digital Cinema Package (DCP) will be required. The Film Festival will provide to invited artists a list of recommended vendors for producers to create an appropriate DCP. Invited artists will be advised of alternate digital exhibitions requirements as needed.
- ALL invited short films and digital submissions will be screened as D-Cinema; a Digital Cinema Package (DCP) will be required. The Film Festival will provide to invited artists a list of recommended vendors for producers to create an appropriate DCP. Invited artists will be advised of alternate digital exhibitions requirements as needed.
- ALL submissions for site-specific and transmedia productions (including, but not limited to, multi-episodic web series, multi-channel digital, video, and installation productions, online exhibitions, cross-platform productions, image-mapping projections, and virtual and augmented-reality experiences) MUST BE accompanied by a detailed proposal for how the work should be exhibited.
- The Film Festival accepts all entry materials electronically; in an effort to be environmentally responsible, physical DVD screeners are strongly discouraged. Physical entry materials will not be returned.
For ease and accuracy of online submission, follow the link below to submit your film to the Los Angeles Asian Pacific Film Festival via The International Film Festival Submission System (BrigitFest) at Withoutabox.com; or via FilmFreeway.com.
EARLY DEADLINE: $35 U.S. and International Entries
FINAL DEADLINE: $45 U.S. and International Entries
WITHOUTABOX and FILMFREEWAY EXTENDED DEADLINE: $55 U.S. and International Entries
In U.S. funds, payable to VISUAL COMMUNICATIONS.
Visual Communications Members at the Filmmaker level submit for free! Limit one waiver per member. Find out more about Visual Communications Membership here.
Acceptable format for preview is a password-protected Vimeo Link (720p optimal); or a Secure Online Screener. Physical DVD screeners are strongly discouraged.
Please include a press kit with your entry, including (electronic version ONLY):
• Still images (hard photos and/or high-resolution electronic images of at least 300 dpi). Please provide captions and photo credits for all images.
• Director’s biography
• Director’s filmography
• Director’s statement
• Cast and crew listing
(If your feature-length film is selected for exhibition, the Film Festival will also request the following items to maximize exposure for your film: posters, director’s photo, video clips.)
Exhibition film prints and/or digital versions of invited entries must be sent to the Festival pre-paid to arrive by March 9, 2018.
Return or forward shipping will be covered by the Festival.
The Festival does not pay film rental fees. We choose instead to invest our resources in producing the best possible showcase for your work and promoting your work as widely as possible.
You will be notified of Festival selections by no later than March 9, 2018.